Wanting to reduce stress levels, have more energy, or make better food choices is natural. Personal growth takes work. However, a complete overhaul of your routine can lead to burnout and send you back to the old habits you’re trying to kick. By making small changes to your daily routine, you can achieve your goals of leading a healthier and more active life.
Implement a Daily Walking Routine
Walking is one of the healthiest low-impact activities you can include in your daily routine. A quick morning walk can help you feel more energized and set you up for the day. Walking also improves balance and can reduce your stress levels. If you’re feeling adventurous during the weekends, you can skip happy hour and explore one of Scottsdale’s many walking trails, including Gateway Loop Trail and the Bajada Nature Trail Loop.
Make Healthier Eating Choices
Eating better can improve your health and increase energy levels. While nutrition is important, making drastic changes isn’t sustainable. Instead of changing your eating habits entirely, start small.
- Include whole grains in your diet. Next time you’re at the supermarket, choose whole grain bread instead of the white version.
- Replace milk chocolate with dark chocolate. While more of an acquired taste than the milk variety, dark chocolate has an array of proven benefits. It’s full of antioxidants, can improve your brain function, and, surprisingly, even help with weight loss.
- Increase your consumption of fruits. Fruits are a great source of vitamins and minerals.
- Avoid too much red meat. Instead, replace it with chicken and seafood.
- Plan your meals. One way to ensure you always have healthy meals available is by cooking your food in advance and freezing it.
Start Looking After Your Skin
Your skin is the largest organ in your body, and it often gets neglected. You can keep a youthful look and skin elasticity by hydrating every day. Avoid taking hot baths because they can dry out your skin. Try taking quick, warm showers instead. During the summer months, try to avoid sun exposure, and get into the habit of using sunscreen on exposed areas every time you go out.
Set Up Achievable Goals
Creating SMART goals is a great way to keep you on track. For instance, if you want to further your career, consider going back to school and getting an online MBA. While this task seems huge, breaking it up the SMART way makes it easier to tackle:
- Pick a specific course based on your interests and career.
- Keep a journal of your progress as you go.
- Is this the right time in your life to take on an online class?
- Ask yourself what benefit you can get from choosing an MBA.
- Time-bound. How long is it likely to take you to complete? Set a time limit, and stick to it.
Become the Best Version of Yourself
By making little changes every day, you can see yourself becoming more confident and healthier. Simple steps, such as walking a bit more, eating a bit better, avoiding the sun, and going back to school, can improve your feeling of self-worth and well-being.
Check out this Resource Page from Elicia Nademin for more tips on looking after yourself.
Thanks to Rhonda Underhill for this article. Dr. Nademin would add also, “Invest In a Hobby” or creative expression!
This could be dance, exercise, art, marketing, volunteering, or a new business venture. In fact, this is what Rodan + Fields has been for so many – a creative, individualized way to do life differently and have fun with creative expression and marketing while sharing something that excites. What could be your new hobby or venture? Does it give you energy? Does it give back in ways that make you smile? Then do it! Have you ever considered the perks of being a consultant? See for yourself here!